My friend Terry Rindal sent this to me. I love it and want you to see it. Typically, I use this space to share some the best and most successful interview tactics and media strategies I know – to give you a leg up, so you can survive the media without getting clobbered.
But, then this email arrived along with this message…
“This is something we should all read once a week and make sure you read to the end. It’s written by Ms. Regina Brett, 90-years old, of the Plain Dealer (newspaper), Cleveland , Ohio.
Regina writes, “To celebrate growing older, I once wrote the ‘45 Lessons Life Taught Me.’ It is the most requested column I’ve ever written. My odometer rolled over to 90 in August, so here is the column once more.”
Now, this photo is NOT Regina, but it’s the image that comes to my mind when I think about who could have written it. And, what I have to say to Regina is, “You go GRRRLLL!”
1. Life isn’t fair, but it’s still good.
2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.
3. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
4. Your job won’t take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and parents will. Stay in touch.
5. Pay off your credit cards every month.
6. You don’t have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
7. Cry with someone. It’s more healing than crying alone.
8. It’s OK to get angry with God. He can take it.
9. Save for retirement starting with your first paycheck.
10. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.
11. Make peace with your past so it won’t screw up the present.
12. It’s OK to let your children see you cry.
13. Don’t compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
14. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn’t be in it.
15. Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don’t worry; God never blinks.
16. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.
17. Get rid of anything that isn’t useful, beautiful or joyful.
18. Whatever doesn’t kill you really does make you stronger.
19. It’s never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.
20. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don’t take no for an answer.
21. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don’t save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
22. Over prepare, then go with the flow.
23. Be eccentric now. Don’t wait for old age to wear purple.
24 The most important sex organ is the brain.
25. No one is in charge of your happiness but you.
26. Frame every so-called disaster with these words ‘In five years, will this matter?’
27. Always choose life affirming.
28. Forgive everyone everything.
29. What other people think of you is none of your business.
30. Time heals almost everything. Give time time.
31. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
32. Don’t take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
33. Believe in miracles.
34. God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn’t do.
35. Don’t audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.
36. Growing old beats the alternative — dying young.
37. Your children get only one childhood.
38. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
39. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.
40. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else’s, we’d grab ours back.
41. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
42. The best is yet to come…
43. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up
45. Life isn’t tied with a bow, but it’s still a gift.”
My favorite on the list is #29; What other people think of you is none of your business. What’s yours?
It’s estimated 93% of the people that read this won’t forward it or share it. If you happen to be one of the 7% of the population who will forward it, use the title ‘7%’.
I’m in the 7%, are you?
Enjoy the summer and ride the wave till you hit beach!!